Client Project

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Background Research

Since choosing the subject of my Client Project, I have been familiarising myself on the subject via a number of different areas. This entry concentrates and details research undertaken on the subject, while entries to follow will illustrate research in the direction of the format, and the techniques and background knowledge required to create a successful product.

Specifically covering Rory, there are currently 2 books in existence:

Rory Gallagher: A Biography by Jean-Noël Coghe, and Riding Shotgun: 35 Years on the Road with Rory Gallagher and "Nine Below Zero" by Gerry McAvoy.

Jean-Noël Coghe is a French music journalist, and has also written publications on other guitarists including Jimi Hendrix. The book has been translated from it's native language and while it doesn't provide depth, it does cover Rory's entire career.

Gerry McAvoy was Rory's Bass player for most of Rory's career. The book accounts for Gerry's recollection of events, which also include illustrating what is was like to tour in Belfast at the time they did. As I am unlikely at this stage to be able to meet and interview Gerry, I have not studied this book.

Other Sources

Fortunately, there are many other sources which cover Rory in alot of detail. Radio Producer Marcus Connaughton, who I will be meeting at a later date, presented a 6 part radio show on Rory Gallagher. Although the show was aired last year, I was able to recieve a copy to study from Marcus. The show covers the years before Rory's career, the supergroup Taste, Rory's band and some interesting quirks many people may not have been aware of.

I also contacted Dino McGartland, who pointed me in the direction of his interviews. Dino is an avid Rory fan, who saw Rory play in Belfast - this would provide a good angle in my project. Dino is more than happy to be interviewed, however I am unsure if I am able to visit him in Belfast due to my own constraints. Dino also interviews Donal, Rory's brother who I intend to meet in Cork, Ireland.


Many of Rory's concerts are available on DVD. I have studied these concerts as part of my research, as well as familiarised myself with many of his records, including earlier recordings with supergroup Taste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home